Start of trail at the northern section
First ladder system
It’s a Suzuki
At the Pachena Lighthouse
First view of the beach at 12 KM. This is Michigan Creek CG.
Bear encounter – mama bear and cub on the beach. Just foraging for food, non-aggressive. Darling River CG is just beyond them
Quick 10 second view from a GoPro at wide angle…just look for the dark shape movement.
Entrance to Darling River CG
Tent side at Orange Juice Creek CG
The West Coast Trail (WCT) sits on the southwest coast of Vancouver Island…
- Covers 55 miles / 74 KM of trail across forest, beach, rocks, mud, tree roots, boardwalks, river crossings, cable cars, and two ferries.
- Includes over 100 bridges and 40 ladder “systems” ranging from 1 to 4 stories high
- Rated as “difficult” by Parks Canada. Over 90 evacuations in 2015, 43 evacs in 2016 by the time I did the hike.
- WCT is accessible by permit only from May 1 to September 30, closed rest of the year.
- I went north to south, from Pachena Bay to Gordon River
- Want to book your own trip? Start here on the CA Parks site.
Here’s the gear setup for 5 days…
In order to start the hike, I first needed to get to Pachena Bay…
Traveled to Gordon River by motorcycle
Passed by this cargo ship at Port of Seattle
Acrobats on the ferry to Victoria
Scooted to Gordon River/Port Renfrew, where I parked the bike at Evan’s
Backpack weigh-in: 42 pounds minus a full water bladder. Not bad for 5 days.
Here’s the Pachena Bay hut, where you get an orientation lecture, trail map, and updated tide chart.
Quick panorama in front of the hut
Close up view of map and tide chart
Highlights from the Emerald City Bike Ride…out and back across the new 520 bridge in Seattle, and down the I5 express lanes. April 3 2016. Hyperlapse to 8X speed/advanced smoothing. GoPro 3+ Hero capture in SuperView.
Views of Mt. Rainier from the bedroom window
Animated GIF of create process
And other pictures from a recent road trip to Billings MT.
– created with Sway from Microsoft